Child custody in Ohio is a complex process. The first step in determining how to proceed in establishing custody is identifying whether the parents of the child were married at the time of the birth of the child.

Under Ohio law, both parents of a child born to a married couple have equal rights as it relates to the child unless a court has issued an order that says otherwise.

For a child born to an unmarried woman, the mother is the sole legal custodian and residential parent of the child until a court issues an order that grants legal rights to the father. To protect his rights, a father must file an application for the determination of parental rights and responsibilities. Simply establishing paternity does not automatically guarantee the rights of a father as it relates to the child.

Our attorneys have experience in protecting the rights of both fathers and mothers in court cases involving the custody and care of minor children. Whether it is through custody, shared parenting, or visitation schedules we will ensure that all issues are addressed by the court and that any determinations of child custody will be in the best interest of the minor child.

A father and daughter holding paper cutouts of a family.

If you are seeking to establish your custodial rights or modify the terms of an existing custody order, our attorneys will work with you to develop a plan that is tailored to resolve your specific custody issues both at the at the present time and with an eye towards the future to ensure that the plan satisfies the needs of the child and parents until the child reaches the age of majority.

Martindale-Hubbell Preeminent 2024 Badge
Avvo Rating Top Attorney Badge
Ohio State Bar Association Logo
Avvo Clients' Choice Badge
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Logo
Legal professional examining and signing an important document.
Get In Touch

Ready to Take the Next Legal Step?

Whether you’re facing a divorce, need assistance with a business matter, or have a legal question, our experienced team is here to help. Schedule a consultation today to discuss your case and explore your options.

Contact W.H. Hunt Legal Group, LLC Today

Your trusted ally in divorce and family law matters.